Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Voting: What a great country!


November 6, 2012.  Election Day.  I had the pleasure of taking the two most important women in my life, my bride and my daughter, to our voting location around noon today.  I was pleasantly surprised to find the line was virtually nonexistent, so it only took the Duncan clan a few minutes to cast our ballots.    It was a great family outing, as my child had her first experience in our democratic system.  My mother tells stories about how I "helped" vote for Reagan in 1980, and it was fun to  continue the tradition with my little one.

Regardless of where you stand on the outcome, which has by now been determined (except of course for Florida, God bless them), you have to be proud of a nation that can cast millions of votes in a single day.  The fact that we as citizens get to elect our government officials is a privilege not all societies get to enjoy, and hopefully all you readers exercised your privilege to vote.  Sure, my state was going to Romney whether my single vote counted or not, but I had a say.  So did you.  Be proud of a country that can peacefully settle our differences in the polls rather than in the trenches.

Patriotically,

JD


John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment