Friday, November 30, 2012

Remember, Remember the Month of November



I only saw it once, but I loved V for Vendetta.  I always get into a good "former-prisoner-seeks-revenge-against-former-captors" story, but it really has no bearing on the rest of this post.  I just really like the famous "5th of November" line in the movie.

Today I am reflecting on the past thirty days because it seems like it went by pretty quick, and I have not had much chance to write.  So consider this a rapid recap of what's been going on at JD Duncan, PC for the past month.

The month started off with a dismissal of a magistrate court suit against one of my debtor clients.  Technically, it happened on the last day in October, but still getting to tell my guy the good news started the month off properly.

On the 6th, I had a bench trial in state court over a contractor dispute.  I was defending a grading contractor that was facing a $45,000 possible judgment for a pond that he excavated, and was very happy to have received a directed verdict in our favor.  That means, the case was decided for my client without my guy having to testify or present any evidence.  Needless to say he was quite happy.

Later in the week I negotiated a possible 90 day sentence in a jail case down to 30 days, ten of which he had already completed, over a suspended license probation violation and new charge.  Quick work, and he got out much sooner than had I not been involved.

On the 12th I was able to persuade the state to dismiss their case against a Mexican national client of mine that had a mixup with his passport and drivers license.  Not a difficult case once I obtained all of the necessary information, but servicing another happy client is always a plus!  The next day, I had a juvenile court hearing for a client that made a seriously bad decision with a friend of his.  The state initially was looking for 12 months of detention, but I was able to convince them that thirty days was more appropriate.  My guy gets out next week.

The 14th was a very busy day for me.  Two days prior, a client of mine had been picked up for a violation of probation.  The jail was telling her that the next calendar she would go on would be after Thanksgiving, so I immediately filed a motion to have her case heard early.  Much to my surprise, I was granted a court date for the 14th and got my girl out of jail that day.  Once finished there, I had to run over to Superior Court to handle numerous family law cases.  Two of those cases reached settlement that day, with another settling the following Tuesday.

I also advised someone on a prenuptial agreement, mediated a legitimation case, and am in the middle of investigating a reckless driving case I'm not sure can stick.  It's been a busy month, but one I'm especially happy fell the way it did.

JD


John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment