Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"I Should Have Hired You"

Praise in the courtroom makes me think I can do anything!

I was in Coweta County State Court yesterday for a jury trial calendar, where I heard what any attorney loves to hear.  I was sitting in the jury box, where the lawyers always sit, as the judge went through the ten-page calendar to determine which cases would go forward and which cases would end that day.  "Please hold my case, your Honor.  The State and I are still talking," I said when my case was called.  I reclaimed my seat and continued conversation with another attorney as the call continued.


In the two hours I sat in the courtroom, I had a couple of laughing moments with the solicitor handling my client's case o totally unrelated matters, as she pondered what to do with us.  I waited as I witnessed a few unrepresented defendants talk with the solicitor-general, and watched as others waited for their attorneys to arrive.

Finally I got my answer from the State at around 11am.  Case dismissed!  I walked over to my client to relay the good news, and let him know he could leave...he was quite happy.  It was at that moment that I heard music:  "I should have hired you," the man next to my client said.  I simply smiled and went on my way.

Now, I do not know whether this guy had a lawyer that wasn't there, or had decided to go it alone by trying the case himself.  It really doesn't matter, though.  The important point was that he perceived me as a lawyer who was getting it done.  I was, mind you.  Convincing the State to dismiss our case was no easy task.  I always wonder how clients perceive me in the courtroom.  I have to, when my competition includes former DAs, judges, and longtime defense attorneys.  It's nice to hear that I look the part that I am playing.

I take defense seriously.  My clients come to me with serious problems they must deal with, and part of my job should be to keep them calm.  A calm client can think clearly, and when I look the part in court, that calmness is contagious.  I know I do a good job for my clients; I like knowing that others see that as well.

Cheers,

JD


John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment