Monday, September 3, 2012

Why My Blog?

It seems like everyone has a blog these days.  Some are professional, some personal, and some totally worthless.  Writing a blog that can be set apart from the sea of posts can be difficult, but is important to me.  I suppose I consider my thoughts to be worth something or I wouldn't bother writing them dowcome back, and even subscribe.



In the legal field, there seem to be two types of blogs:  those written for other attorneys and those written for prospective clients.  I read many blogs myself written for other attorneys, and I see that many colleagues of mine write blogs for their client base.  I don't see the point in limiting my audience to one side or the other if I can help it, and I therefore try to write from the perspective of an attorney that deals with clients.  Sometimes I feel the need to speak to the profession, and other times I speak to prospective clients.  In either scenario, I feel that what I have to say can benefit the other side.

In the case of non-lawyers, I think it's good for clients to see what we as attorneys deal with and talk about to gain insight into just how intricate the practice of law can be.  On the other hand, I feel it's important that attorneys are transparent (at least to some degree) in how they talk with their clients.  Creating a single blog to address both sub-groups allows each side to see a little behind the curtain.  So really, my target audience is anyone dealing with a legal problem, whether as a party to litigation or a representative of a party.

Now, the name "Esquire by Day" is something I kind of fell on.  I like to superhero feel to it, like Superman being a reporter by day, etc.  But the name also reminds my readers that I am not just an attorney all the time.  Attorneys have interests and opinions that most of our clients don't see.  And when you hire someone to handle a DUI, you are less concerned about the paddle-boarding Saturday I just spent on Shem Creek.  It's good to remind clients, as well as lawyers, that we are not just a source-book of legal knowledge.  By day I practice law (and sometimes by night), but I also do other things that are not related to my practice.  This is why I write about speeding tickets as well as taking a vacation. The practice of law does not occur inside a vacuum.  Hopefully my writings and rants help to illustrate that.

Thanks for reading, and please subscribe and comment on what I say!

Best,

JD


John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment