Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Stand-up Desk: An Endorsement

For those of you that have been reading my page for a while, you know that I built my New Desk about eight months ago because I couldn't find anything in the market that suited me.  In earlier posts, I focused on the shape of the top as a great way to add workspace to my office without the annoying corners of a typical rectangle.  I also mentioned that the height is adjustable, but I never went into much detail of how it worked, or why I use it.  Thus, this post is born.

I have no idea how long stand-up desks have been in use.  Maybe some Renaissance businessmen used extra tall tables to get their work done, but I just don't know.  What I do know is that Thomas Jefferson used desks for standing, and if it's good enough for a Founding Father, it's good enough for me.  Bill Gates also advocates for stand-up desks.  He has been known to implement standing board rooms to streamline the meetings over all-day sitting sessions in comfy leather chairs.  And now, the Microsoft offices in numerous locations have standing conference, or meeting areas, to promote collaboration.  On its face, it makes sense to me that I would not prolong a meeting where I was standing up as opposed to some opulent calfskin lounger.

First, let's talk about the health benefits.  Sitting all day is a real drag.  My back hurts from leaning forward (maybe I have my chair to blame), and I can feel myself growing more lethargic as the day goes on.  When I sit all day, I am more likely to eat a bigger breakfast, fatty lunch, and probably a snack around 3 pm.  Why do I need all these calories when I'm just sitting?  Of course I don't, but what else is my body to ask for when I can't get off my rear?  I am more likely to get distracted by email or Facebook when sitting, and everything just seems to go slower.

When I stand, however, everything changes.  I can feel the blood flow through my legs and work goes by quicker.  And by quicker, I mean I am more efficient.  When the synapses are clicking away, email takes less time, phone calls have more energy, and I am not eating my face off all day.  I can't forget to mention that when I'm standing and one of my partners comes in, the meeting is considerably shorter and to the point than if we hunkered down in my chairs...bonus.  I may not want to stand for 8-10 hours every day, but a few in the morning and afternoon does the trick.

The problem with a dedicated stand-up desk in my law office is that clients typically do not want to stand when they come to meet me.  Comfort is the key to a successful prospect meeting, and if they felt like I was rushing them out I might never get business.  So I can't use a desk the way Jefferson or Gates uses one because I have to be able to sit during client meetings.



There are tons of mechanical rising desks online that you can purchase.  These desks are push-button functions, and I assume they move slow enough not to throw your stuff all over the room.  I could have bought such a system, but they are expensive and I am not sure why.  What happens when the motor runs out, does it fit my aesthetic, does it fit my desk?  Too many questions for me, so I looked elsewhere.

I found the perfect legs for my desk at IKEA, of all places.  You can see by the pictures that my find is a simple a-frame made of solid wood that I stained.  The rise and fall is set by pegs that go through holes in the bottom.  It may not look as cool when I am moving the desk up or down as a push button, but I love it once moved.  With this set-up, I can stand up all day to work and sit when my clients come in.  Best of both worlds.

As lawyers, I think the profession gets sentimental over their workspace.  New desks are not purchased ever six months, so not all of you will be in the market for a change.  If you are considering something new, I cannot recommend a stand-up desk enough.  When I built mine, I knew I would like it, but I had no idea just how enjoyable it would be.

Enjoy!

JD

John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment