Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Class is in Session



To quote Ice Cube, "today was a good day."  Instead of working my fingers to the bone cloistered away in my office, I had the pleasure of speaking to a group of students at Atlanta's John Marshall Law School.  My former evidence professor, Liza Karsai, was nice enough to invite me to talk to her class for the day about what I have learned so far in the practice of law.

I had a blast speaking with her students. Once I stopped my oratory and let them ask questions, things went great.  Their questions ranged from getting a job, dealing with unruly opposing counsel, to attracting the clients you want.  I sincerely hope they got as much out of our two hours together as I did, and I am excited to have more chances to talk with students in the future.  I handed out my cards to any student that wanted one, and I've already been contacted by a couple to thank me (great!).  Not having taught since I graduated from law school, it was nice to get back in front of a class.  I owe Prof. Karsai for a wonderful afternoon.

This was not my first visit to JMLS since the bar exam, but it was my first chance to really talk about what I do.  Our discussion has me reflecting on the years since I finished law school and how far I've come as a lawyer.  I remember meeting my first client and accepting my first fee.  I had no idea how to file a case in the Superior Court, but law school did teach me where to find the answer.  I have since learned how to customize my practice with clients and cases that I want (after learning how to file the case I just mentioned, of course).  I have learned that even the smallest speeding ticket can be important to someone, and that a client loves to hear that it's important to their lawyer, too.  I enjoy helping people with the issues life throws at them, and I can sleep at night knowing that I am impacting lives.

In my first few years of practice, I have won over $100,000 for my personal injury clients, received some 'not guilty' verdict for criminal defendants, and helped parents fight for custody of their children.  I may not have million dollar verdict yet, but I am certain that what I do makes a difference to the community I serve.  To me, that's what matters most.

A little reflection never hurts.

JD

John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment