Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Speeding is Speeding


I spend a lot of time in traffic courtrooms handling cases for my clients, and I always see someone try the same line to get out of a ticket.  "I know I was speeding, but I was NOT going that fast," they say, in hopes that the judge will both believe them and cut them a break.


This common mistake gets many people into trouble.  As soon as you utter the words "I know I was speeding" or something to that effect, you are admitting guilt.  It technically does not matter if you were going one mile or twenty miles over for purposes of guilt; if you say you were going faster than the posted speed you absolutely will be found guilty.  This is why you should never admit to a particular speed when stopped, either.  While most think an officer or judge will be thankful that someone is telling the truth, your stance will not help you the way you intend.  Sure, everyone will be polite, but you will not get out of the ticket.

Mind you, I am not bashing judges or officers.  All I can do is urge the public not to admit to something that one might not perceive as important.  Admitting guilt on camera or in court will not help you get out of a ticket you think should be dismissed.  Say nothing, be courteous, and hire a lawyer to help you navigate through a seemingly simple process.


[This blog was originally published to JD's Guide to Speeding Tickets  on January 5, 2012.]

JD

John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment