Monday, May 13, 2013

A Traveling Journal: Visiting Kingsland, Georgia



I have always loved riding in the car.  I can thank my Dad for that, because he never passed up a road trip, and the fact that my grandparents lived about a four hour drive away when I was a kid, so we were always in the car.  It was great, then, when a client recently asked me about a case in Kingsland, Georgia they needed handling.  I admit that I had to search for it to figure out where it was, but once I noticed how close it was to the Atlantic Coast and Fernandina Beach, I had to take it.  Sure, a five-hour trip would not make a cost-effective practice were I to handle cases there regularly, but then again there's something about the sea air that just speaks to me.

So I happily took the case and brought the family over with me to enjoy some time away from home before (and after) I had court.  While all the personal stuff is not really relevant here, I will say that I had my fill of oysters and shrimp before returning inland.

What I really want to talk about, however, is how much fun I have visiting new courthouses and meeting new judges and lawyers.  I will always feel at home in Coweta and the surrounding areas, but it's nice to stretch my legs and meet some new faces every now and then.  I also love learning the way things get done in different court settings.

In Kingsland, for example, I checked in with who I assume was the clerk of court, and she promptly gave me the city's entire file for my client, including her confiscated license.  What a breath of fresh air to have court personnel actually trust lawyers as fellow officers of the court!  She then let me know that I could have a seat at the front of the courtroom and wait for the judge to call me back for our conference.  Great! So without having made an appointment, I was able to get some individual face-time with the judge.  All in all it was quite accommodating.



And I can't forget just how nice the facility was.  Sure, Kingsland is not massive, so it does not need a huge courthouse.  The space was brand new, though, with plenty of room for everything they needed to do, and the wainscoting gave the place a distinctive coastal vibe.

It's too bad I worked out a great deal for my client that keeps me from having to go back on her case; Kingsland was great and I hope I get the chance to practice down there again.  And for any lawyers that practice down there that might be reading this, I'm happy to work out some kind of a practice swap for a week or two if and when you just get too much sea air to handle!  Gary Bacon, this means you...

Cheers,

JD


John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment