Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lobby Day at the Capitol



That's me, next to Governor Nathan Deal.  I got to meet him and take this pic during my visit to the Capitol earlier this week.  Because I grew up in South Carolina, I never took the standard field trip in elementary school to the Gold Dome, so this was a great new experience for me.  I should send the Governor a copy of the photo to sign, right?

The reason for my visit this week was in connection with the State Bar of Georgia's Lobby Days and their burgeoning grassroots campaign.  Basically, the idea is to get as many of the 40,000 lawyers in Georgia comfortable at the Capitol so that our voices can be heard when relevant legislation arises.

My day began with the grassroots coordinator, Zach Johnson, who had me sit in on a committee meeting, showed me how to request an audience with senators and representatives during session, where to find all kinds of things at the Capitol, and introduced me to numerous players along the way.  We were able to catch my senator, the Hon. Mike Crane, and we had a nice chat about home and the legislative process.  Overall, a great experience.

I cannot say enough how worthwhile I feel this day was, and I want to encourage my fellow bar members to sign up for one of these days and get comfortable with the legislative process.  If you are not an attorney, don't fret, because everything I did is available to any member of the public!  At the very least, you can get yourself a picture with the Big Man for your hall, office, mantle... you get it.  No matter your goals, you are sure to reap the rewards of participating in the very process that sets this country apart from the rest.

JD

John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment