Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New Desk!

After more than three months of late-night work, I finally was able to move my new desk into my office yesterday.  The problem I have with so many "lawyer" or "partner" desks is that they are oddly proportioned, have wasted space in excessively long drawers, and are typically ridiculously expensive.  With that in mind, I decided it would be better if I made my own.

Being a huge James Bond fan, I wanted to make something that I could tie to the character into my practice, and settled on M's glass desk from Quantum of Solace, which is bowed at front and back, with an open leg design.  I am not a glass worker, so I made the shape using exotic woods and a very nice leg system that allows me to raise and lower the work surface about eight inches.  Here it is in action:



Now that it's in my office, I love it.  The bow gives me great room to work and meet clients, but the best feature is the adjustable height.  Now I can work seated or standing (which I do often) without hunching over.  Not to mention I have a one-of-a-kind piece that I could practice on for my entire career.  Sometimes if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

JD


John D. Duncan is president of J.D. Duncan, PC, founding partner of Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC in Newnan, Georgia, and is Esquire by Day.  You can find him at www.jdduncanlaw.com, or follow him on twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment